Saturday, March 7, 2009

Family Is . . .

Today is a pretty big day for me. I went to my local bookstore and bought the book where my first published story resides. If you want to see it as ink on paper look for the book Chicken Soup for the Soul: Twins and More Edition. My story is #58 The Triplet Raised by Wolves on page 200. If anyone just wants to see it electronically send me an email at chris.rathje@gmail.com and I will send it to you.

I think my story looks at the idea of family a little differently then the norm of blood relations. Is this a new idea? No, but somehow I think it is more acceptable in today’s American society. The idea of family has shifted in so many ways.

Every person on this planet has billions of brothers and sisters because we are all in the giant family of human kind. My simple advice is approach everyone in a loving manner and make sure to be there for the people who have been there for you.

It is a simple idea that rings of beauty and truth, but it takes patience and a moment of pause to understand, forgive and accept everyone.

Know that family is about experiences and loving actions, not just who you share genetic material with. You don’t have to be a Rathje or a Nagel to be my relative. Have your arms open to accept the wonderful people that God places in your life. Nine years ago I didn’t know I would have brothers with the last names of Perkins, Taylor and Smith, but I do.

Thank you to everyone that contributed to this dream. This is just one step on a long journey. I must take a moment to really cherish and appreciate this accomplishment because I sometimes forget to enjoy the smaller steps on the big journey.

Can I ask a favor? Can we all take a moment to let out a laugh or put a smile on our face?

After all we are one big happy family who will make this world a better place. Let the labels go and just follow the love!

Thanks for reading
Chris

No comments: