Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Patty’s Blessings Brought to You by Brenda and Renee

God works in mysterious ways. This piece is exhibit #1. I received and replied to emails from two wonderful people today.

My fantastic cousin Brenda and my equally amazing friend Renee, everyone knows about my beloved Brenda from yesterday, but here is a little about Renee.

First of all Renee is not a person, she is a petit blonde force of nature. The word can’t is not in her vocabulary.

The strongest memory I have of Renee is when we were both refused interviews by the same Fortune 500 Company in our final term at Northwestern. I do not like to drink, but the song Alcohol by Brad Paisley rocked out for a reason from my dorm room on that night. As I wandered to different apartments and pubs that night many people were around, but only Renee understood why I wasn’t my normal chipper self.

I was deeply wounded by the rejection. From our best statistical analysis from Nevin’s Pub we determined we were the only two students who applied that did not get interviews.

Really? We were the bottom of the barrel?

Nope! Not even close! Someone made assumptions about us that were false based off a piece of paper.

Lesson 1: Always give somebody the benefit of the doubt. Diamonds in the rough are real and your patience will be rewarded.

Brenda the next lesson I was trying to write last night and couldn’t think of the right words.

Lesson 2: Other people’s rush judgments are your blessings, have the courage to see it in the moment.

Even back in Evanston in October 2005 I dreamed of Lakeshore, but didn’t have the courage to just say it. God sent me clues like the Alabama quarter I received at the Century Theater when I uncharacteristically didn’t have exact change.

I know Renee loves Michigan because of Shawn and the hairless wonder dog Ziggy. I am pushing towards the only things I have ever wanted since 3rd grade in Alabama. None of this would be possible if we were given the chances we had earned. Everything happens for a reason, it sometimes takes a while for the story to unfold.


Lesson 3: Find a way to have fun even if it seems silly! If it makes you happy, do it! Clap your hands, make a noise or dance an Irish jig!

Lesson 4: I am far from perfect, but I’m still having a blast. Face what worries you in the light and it can’t get you in the shadows!

Lesson 5: Sometimes the steps are painful and tedious along the way. The days that hurt or are confusing I need to pray harder and believe in my dreams even more!

Lesson 6: This is not a birth right. It can be taken away at any moment if I stop following my dreams, stop giving maximum effort and stop being good to others.
Lesson 7: Next time you see somebody in need; help them even if you don’t think you have the time. God will make up the time and then some!

This final one is dedicated to my baby cuz, soon to be college graduate, but it can be applied to anyone of any age!

MAKE THESE THE BEST WEEKS OF YOUR LIFE! Laugh Harder! Smile More!
Nothing ever ends unless you want it to. Time is a limitation of a human mind. College is not a time; college is a feeling!

I honestly feel like I have the courage to be three ages all at once and none of these are my age according to the calendar.

I am four because I am so happy about everything! I remember not being able to lift my arms at all and then all the sudden I saw the reflection in the mirror at therapy. First the right, then the left, it was really ME LIFTING MY ARMS!

I am twenty because all I really care about is the sport that drives me. I’m at the end of my sophomore year of college. I know the sport now, but I need to keep pushing more. I know the sacrifices that need to be made, but I must stay disciplined and focused. It is up to me where I end up.

I am ageless because God takes the little amount of talent I have earned and magnifies it to help others through his words.
Life is an ever evolving document. Things will change someday. I will meet people that will continue to change my life. I will have more responsibilities, but I will also have more resources! My inner ages will have to adjust, but joy will always drive me.
Yeah Buddy! Think Green! Be Happy!

Brenda & Renee are very special people that God wants me to help. God has also taught me when he gives me a gift, share it with it as many people as I can.

I hope you enjoyed my blessings!

Thanks for reading
Chris

No comments: