Monday, February 23, 2009

Strolling Down a Familiar Street

I have come to a point in writing Don’t Be Afraid to Eat Soup with a Fork where I have put together an outline and I am trying to figure out how the bricks fit together and what additions need to be made. I am toying with the idea of adding a section about reviewing the basic lessons we learned as kids.

A wonderful episode of Scrubs reaired last week entitled my ABCs. It is a great example of how much more we can enjoy our tomorrows by reviewing the simplest lessons of yesterday.

The basic premise of Scrubs is that it tells the tales of what goes on at Sacred Heart Hospital through the eyes of the main character JD. JD often daydreams, but what made the daydreams of this episode special are they included Muppet characters like Oscar the grouch, Grover and Elmo. This back to basics, Sesame Street inspired episode had three main lessons to ponder at the end.

Always play nice

This is an easy lesson to remember and understand, however the practice of it can sometimes be difficult. I try to keep in mind that no one else controls how nice I am to them. I believe karma has a way of rewarding people who are consistently nice. Sometimes the rewards do not come instantaneously, but they do come to those who learn to share the sandbox well.

Always try your hardest

Again so easy to understand, but sometimes it is much harder practice. I think sometimes people slip up because the bar to try your hardest is not set there by society or some other outside force, but I challenge anyone to set the bar as high as they possibly can for themselves. I think we all have an inner sense of when we are trying our hardest and when we are not. Another reason sometimes people don't put their all behind something is because they have failed so many times before. Believe me; it is always about the eight times you get up. It is never about the seven times you fall.

It’s okay to cry

This is personally the hardest lesson for me. Many times I force myself to be happy when I'm really not. I think it is important to recognize when you are feeling sad and to cry if you feel like crying. Do what you need to do, and recognize that crying can be a form of love and happiness. When the tears have dried up it is time to play nice and try your hardest again!

Never underestimate your ability to learn something important from any source.

Thanks for reading
Chris

No comments: