Friday, April 24, 2009

Coming Attractions

A couple weeks ago I was very blessed to talk to a group of undergrads in an Integrated Marketing Communications class at Northwestern University. The favorite question I received after my presentation was “What movies are you looking forward to?”

At the time my answer was Sunshine Cleaning. I wrote the corresponding piece after I saw the movie the next day. http://www.chrisrathje.com/?p=155

Here is my current list of movies I am really looking forward to.

Away We Go (Limited Release starting in early June)

I feel such a strong connection to this movie I have easily watched the trailer over 100 times. I could easily call this movie Garden State 2 or Elizabethtown 2 because of the strong connection I feel and they are all stories based in unexpected travel and self discovery.

The story is about a couple who is expecting their first child and they ask themselves are they screwups? They realize they must move and change their lives, but they are terrified about the future. They know they love each other and that is what keeps them going.

(500) Days of Summer July 17th

To me this is a story of twenty something angst. Two people do not expect to find love, but they do. For some reason they seem to fight against it. Not sure why from the trailer. Do they really subscribe to different frequencies or are they just afraid? It looks like the story is told in a very interesting manner that reminds me of Definitely Maybe.

Three lines from the trailer that really stick out to me are:
1. This is not a love story.
2. What always happens? Life. (Life gets in the way.)
3. I don’t want to be over her, I want to get her back.

My responses are:
1. No one defines a love story. Any story can be a love story depending on your perspective. Don’t let others define your rules.
2. That is a true statement in today’s society, but why? We control our lives. If you truly love somebody or something go after it!
3. I love this statement because it is said with such conviction! Whether it is the right or wrong choice, he is making a stand and defining his own life!

Funny People July 31st

Wow! This looks like such a great movie! Judd Apatow, Adam Sandler and Seth Rogen teaming up a laugh fest is sure to ensue. Right? Not exactly.

This looks like a beautiful story of self exploration and the definition of happiness all based around a near death experience. I can relate, you appreciate your life so much more after you realize you almost lost it.

Carpe Diem and enjoy the movies!

Thanks for reading
Chris

No comments: