Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Sun Shines on Everyone!

This is connected to my last post. In the closing minutes of my speech yesterday, some of the students asked me questions. They were all great and I appreciate every single one, but the one that stuck out to me the most was if there were any current movies that spoke to me.

 I explained to them how my mind was not set to movies like it had been in the past, but Sunshine Cleaning had stuck out to me and I hoped to see it while I was up in Chicago.   I saw it today and I was encouraged by what I saw.

 I apologize in advance; this is not going to be the most organized, well thought out piece I’ve ever written. My mind is not in that place right now and so my work cannot be either.

 I did not have my usual laser focus while watching this movie, my mind wandered, but it was still wonderful.   The characters in Sunshine Cleaning were far from perfect, but they were all beautiful in their own way.

 The color scheme of the entire movie set a subtle surreal tone for the entire journey and it just helped drive home the point that what most people see as ugly or disgusting has its own beauty.

 Be Different!  Have the courage to be the kid who licks the wall, recognize the kindness of the one armed man and recognize the service you are providing by cleaning up gruesome areas.

 Sunshine Cleaning had so many beautiful themes that were similar to its distant cousin movie Little Miss Sunshine, but it stood alone as well.  Sunshine Cleaning seemed more raw to me; it seemed a little dirtier.

 It reminds me of so many people who are a little rough around the edges.   I encourage anyone who knows someone that fits this description to give them a chance. You never know what they had to go through to make those edges rough.

 People assume my life is so hard because I use a wheelchair.  To be blunt the wheelchair and the physical challenges that go along with it are the easy part.  People who have horrible attitudes and project their weakness on me are the cripples, not me.  I’m tough, I’m robust and I will prosper in the New Mexico desert of Sunshine Cleaning.

 I know I am ugly and scary to so many just like the one armed man, but I try extremely hard to love everybody.  Little kids love talking to me and that’s enough of a reassurance I am doing something right.  They haven’t been told to dislike this person or that person yet.  They still listen to their hearts and love everybody.

 I got a little rougher and a little rawer today as my patience continues to wane on a topic that is closest to my heart, but I’m okay with that if it means I can go to a world where I fit in better with the boy who licks walls, the one armed man and the crime scene cleaners.

 Sunshine is an equal opportunity element. Always keep joy in your heart, give your best and uplift others!  It doesn’t matter where you come from, it matters where you are going : )

 This one is again dedicated to my undergrad IMC buddies, barriers are going to come, people are going to piss on your head and tell you it’s raining, but be strong!

 Declare I got places to go and nothing is going to stop me!  The odds of failure are only for those weak chumps who buy into what they “should” do and what they “should” expect!

 The greatness train is coming and it’s got a squeaky wheel so everybody can hear it coming.  Squeak! Squeak!

 Thanks for reading

Chris

No comments: