Friday, January 2, 2009

Airport People

I'm very excited to be writing my first post from an airport! After a short journey in Midway I located the accessible laptop station and I'm having a blast with my buddy Mac.

I love airports because they represent endless possibilities. They are the portals to anywhere in the world.

They are also exciting because within the halls of airports lies beautiful mosaics of people going about their lives with infinite purposes and possibilities. I'm always hopeful that I will run into an old friend or make a new one.

The only time I ran into an old friend that comes to mind is when we figured out that I would be leaving Birmingham within 45 minutes of when my former roommate and brother in life Rob was coming into town. When only one gate separated us everyone in the airport knew Robbie John had arrived!

I always hold out hope that I will run into another long-lost friend but it has not panned out yet. I convinced myself for a minute I saw a former classmate today in Midway, but after further investigation I realized the woman I came across was a couple inches too tall and had sadder eyes.

Regardless if I ever get another blast from the past or not, I love the friends I make like the man who worked for train supply company headed to China, the softball player headed back to Tuscaloosa or the friendly couple headed to Colorado.

Airports are also wonderful experiments in frequency. You can be remembered by the friendly ticket agent in Detroit or the friendly janitor in Houston and you can also be practically forgotten by a myriad of other people because of what people choose to tune in on when you meet.

It is an excellent reminder to send out your best to the world at all times.

My trip home, filled with family is over. It is now time to train back in Birmingham. I will see my friend the airport soon enough when it is time for West Palm and rugby to converge for Knock 'n Roll!

Headed to Bama like a freight train on an airplane.

Thanks for reading
Chris

No comments: