Saturday, January 3, 2009

You Can't Make the Club in the Tub

I was sitting in front of my computer yesterday afternoon and had ESPN on as background noise. There was a piece on there talking about injuries in the NFL. 99% of us do not need to deal with such physical difficulties as the massive injuries that NFL players deal with, but we all have our physical, mental and emotional wounds.

I have developed a certain kind of radar for phrases and other sources of inspiration that will allow me to communicate my thoughts to others. My senses were on high alert when I heard Chad Johnson say “You can't make the club in the tub.”

He was referring to players who focus too much on their injuries and therefore sit out practice or other activities to sit in the therapeutic ice tubs or hot tubs, but I think this can be applied to almost anyone in life no matter what kind of injury they are dealing with. We all must get out whatever our safe tubs are and strive for excellence by working hard in order for our dreams to become reality.

When it comes to injuries I think people make mistakes in both directions. Some people focus on injuries way too much and resign from a complete life while others do not take the proper time to heal and just keep chugging along never really figuring out what the problem is.

In my life I have been the later. Coach Frogley always warned me that life was a marathon and not a sprint, but like a dumb train if I see track I keep chugging. I've never had a better example than my recent injuries in 2008. I had a relatively minor injury that left ignored turned major.

Injuries of all kinds are a common occurrence because of the imperfect nature of human existence, but I feel certain any wound can heal if the person that is wounded wants it to heal. We must all find the beautiful medium where we nurse what bothers us, but we do not surrender to it.

If you find yourself with a major wound where a logical cure does not seem possible pray hard and believe in a cure. There is a whole way of thinking that is above logic. It is the dreams planted in our hearts.

Thanks for reading
Chris

No comments: