Friday, January 2, 2009

The Fun Crew

I kept my mind open to meeting some great people and man did my theory of making new friends ring true today.

It started before I even got on the plane and met a wonderful couple named Nancy and Charlie. It turns out that Nancy swims in the pool at Lakeshore. We had never met before because she keeps mostly to the downstairs pool while I am usually upstairs in the field house.

I started my flight wonderfully just like any other Southwest Airlines flight because I didn't have to use an aisle chair. I could just transfer from my wheelchair to the front row. It makes life so much easier!

Most airlines do a great job of helping disabled passengers, but Southwest is king because they know how to deal with people of any ilk. If we can figure out a way to get along with anyone, we will all be very successful in life. This is the reason why I will take a connecting Southwest flight before a direct flight by somebody else if I have a choice.

Southwest crews are always the friendliest, but I knew this was a special crew with Emily’s warm greeting, Nancy’s willingness to talk sports and the bond I shared with Steve as a fellow Illinois alum.

This set the stage for one of my more fun airplane stories. After Steve questioned my Illinois loyalty because I said I root for Alabama because an Alabama victory makes some of my rugby brothers so happy I had to prove myself. After a dare to sing the Illinois alma mater I obliged complete with Chris Rathje rugby playing volume.

If it bothered anyone on flight 1756 I apologize, but I don’t mess around when it comes to my Illini.

It was a wonderfully typical flight filled with random bits of conversation, peanuts, Coca Cola, and me jotting down some random notes. The soda had soon done its job and it was time for me and the Coke to part ways. When I returned from the bathroom Emily offered me some hand sanitizer. I have made well over a hundred bathroom crawls in my day and this was the first time anyone offered me hand sanitizer. One other time someone offered me a Kleenex.

I relish the times when I eat soup with a fork and I do what needs to be done to live my life, but little acts of kindness like that makes it easier to remember I am not the only one who believes life is a team sport.

I have no connection to Southwest Airlines, but man would I like too! If there is one airline, heck one company, that understands what I believe in it is Southwest Airlines. Southwest crews know how to eat soup with a fork and they realize the party is everywhere.

It was a special flight filled with special people. Thanks Nancy, Charlie, Emily, Nancy and Steve!

Thanks for reading
Chris

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chris, Hey! Steve from the flight today! You ROCK, man! We (me, Emily and Nancy) loved having you on the plane today. It was fun, you're a hoot, man! I was admitedly shocked when you belted into the chorus today, singing the Illini fight song...that was awesome... You definitely got me on that one. I never in a million years thought you'd actually sing the song - when dared (not sure if you knew, you received a loud round of applause post howl...lol)! I take my hat off to you, Chris, you're a remarkable young man. We all agreed after leaving the flight today, we were lucky people to have met you. You have an amazing, wonderful spirit, one that sincerely brightens people lives! Thanks for brightening our lives today!! I look forward to further reading your blog (and of course, commenting...lol). I'd like to share my personal cheesy website with you. visit www.txsteveo.com (be warned, it needs updates). scribble me an email if ya get the chance... (email address txsteveo@yahoo.com) The next time I'm in BHAM...we;ll have to meet up and hang out. I'll bring the peanuts!! Chris, I almost had to sing a goofy southwest song at the end of the flight, but got cold feet.. I look forward to chatting further. Be well! Steve O www.txsteveo.com