Thursday, January 1, 2009

Repaint, Retune, Recalibrate

January 1st is a date where many people take stock of their lives.  I know it is convenient and it has its own poetry based on the simple idea of new year, new you, but growing up I never understood new year's resolutions.  I will readily admit I was a dimwit growing up when it came to social norms,  but for all my lack of understanding I think kid Chris  might have been onto something here. How we act on January 1 is no more important then February 17 or July 25.

All days are units of time and we as individuals and a society assign importance to certain dates. For instance, I assign importance to the date January 14 because it is the anniversary of my birth. Always remember we choose what we see, hear, and think in our minds.   We can change it at any point.  It doesn't have to be a clean even time like midnight; you can decide to mentally change your life at 8:53 AM any day of the year.

I haven't  had the clearest or most positive thoughts the last couple days. I've been sitting thinking about how to solve some problems and instead of focusing on new solutions I find myself  analyzing past failures.  I lie to myself and convince myself for a moment that I am going through past failures to figure out a new solution, but if it was that simple I would have already figured out a solution.  

Especially when it comes to big important complex dreams you have to step in faith.  You have to think up new images you've never seen before, new melodies you have never heard before and new  measurements for success you've never thought of before.

Being a bona fide dreamer is an honor and a privilege,  but we must remember in times of evaluation or hardship  we can't use mundane metrics or tools to help explain something only we see.  Always keep the faith!  If you fall down and have a bad minute accept it, but move on and refuse to have a bad hour or night.

You own your mind nobody else does. You control the paintings they get drawn there, the songs that get played there, and the metrics that get used there.  If you fall back in the norms of averageness  understand that we are all human, but you can decide to snap out of it with the beat of a song that nobody else hears or a new mental image. 

We can change whatever we want, whenever we want.  There are times when being brave and creative are not easy,  but have the courage to be different because when your dreams come to fruition the challenging times will be looked back at as a fond memory.

We can achieve anything! 
Chris

No comments: