Sunday, January 11, 2009

Lefty is Taking Over :)

I would like to sincerely apologize for not writing the last few days. I have had a myriad of things going on in my mind and I’m not really sure how many posts this purge of my brain will result in.

I suppose my most recent physical injury is as good a place to start as anywhere. I fell in rugby practice on Tuesday night. There did not seem to be anything particularly unique about the fall, but there must have been. I have fallen countless times during my rugby career without any consequences to speak of. When I returned to my apartment on Tuesday night I felt a slight pain in my forearm area, but I didn’t think much of it. I did not work out on Wednesday or Thursday and I was ashamed of that, but there was some pain and I was exhausted, sleeping at least 10 hours a night. I was so mad at myself that I was accomplishing so little.

In retrospect my body was telling me “ You’re not right, you need to rest”, but I was not listening. In blind love for the sport and commitment to my team I practiced on Saturday making my sprained wrist and whatever else is going on with my arm worse. This has resulted in some pretty intense pain and my left hand and arm being more useful than my right for the first time in my life.

I fully believe with God’s grace that I control my life and I’m trying to figure out what I did to cause this current situation in my life. Even though I am deeply within my own head on this one, this is what I’ve come up with so far:


1. I must listen to my body especially when it is telling me something negative.
I am trying to learn that just because I acknowledge and deal with something negative that does not mean I am creating negative things. We all must deal with negative components in order to receive the abundance that is awaiting us all.
2. The only way I could see the strength that exists in my left arm was to harm my right arm so severely. My arms work far from normal and my right one functions better because of the practice it has had as my dominant limb, but what my left arm has been able to accomplish in the last couple days has truly amazed me.

I hope this post has not been too self-indulgent. Please know I realize how blessed I am. There are millions of people who are suffering way more intensely than I could ever imagine.

My points are simple. Listen to your gut in the face of negative experiences, always look for the silver lining, and you will always surprise yourself when push comes to shove.

We must always remember a negative experience is just helping to provide the contrast for the wonderful things that awaits us down our path!

Thanks for reading
Chris

No comments: