Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Everyday Family

I was watching the DVD of Definitely Maybe recently and the song in the opening credits that Ryan Reynolds is listening to on those cool wireless ear buds called to me. It sounded familiar, but it took a while to get my finger on it.

The song was Everyday People by Sly and the Family Stone.

This is a wonderful song that is an anthem for acceptance. I know that we are in an unmatched time of acceptance, but that doesn’t mean we can not strive to do better.

The words are so simple and make me think about the silly reasons why people choose to not get along or dislike someone. I am not a political scientist, but with all the sad things going on in the Middle East and other regions of the world we should start with ourselves and our relations at home.

We must tear down barriers in our own minds and get rid of garbage thinking that says any two people can not get along. We must always remember that we are all children of God. It has become much more commonplace to look past skin color and I am extremely blessed to live my adult life in the post Americans with Disabilities Act era, but there are issues we need to still work on in our society.

The first one that comes to mind is Prop 8 in California. When it comes to who we love, people must know that is planted deep in our hearts and we must go with our guts. When I was four years old I started to notice the pretty blonde ladies on TV. Nobody told me to like them, but man did I! I would even go up to the TV and give it a kiss because I liked what I saw so much.

No matter who you love, that is a gift from God and God does not make mistakes. If you live in a peaceful and love filled home, enjoy it and let your neighbors pursue their own dreams. I know when I was younger I would always try to figure out why two people who seem to have little in common got along, but I waste little time with it now.

In order to get to the level of abundance that we all have a right to we must believe in the highest possibilities for ourselves and everyone else.

You might not be able to figure out what bag I’m in, so let’s just accept everyone’s different strokes and say we are a family of everyday people.

May you chase your dreams everyday and find a way to accept more and more people every waking moment. We are all in this together!

God Bless
Chris

PS It is still a work in progress, but please check out my new website chrisrathje.com

No comments: