Friday, January 16, 2009

Be the King & Queen of Your Life

I came up with this analogy a couple of weeks ago in the wee hours while playing chess on my new buddy Mac.

When I was a kid I didn’t like chess because the different pieces had different values. I know this sounds funny, but even as a little kid I hated inequality. That is why I stuck to checkers growing up, however as I am maturing I enjoy chess more each day because over the last several years I realize that having different abilities is not equal to being better or worse.

Chess is so much like life. However to fully understand what I mean perception is the name of the game.

It is a sad truth that people misinterpret and abuse other people in life. I am fully certain this is not the default setting on human nature, but it happens. We all have many pawns in life which are moving pieces as we make the transactions of our lives. Problems only arise when one person interprets another person as a highly valued piece while the other person sees them as a pawn. Make sure that the people you surround yourself with see you as the knight or bishop you truly are. Everyone deserves to feel highly valued because everyone is.

We must always realize how much control we have in our own lives. There is no loyalty like self-loyalty. Remember everyone is their own king and queen on their chessboard of life. We are the queen because we are the most powerful piece and we are king because we are the most valuable piece.

This analogy made me think of the wonderful romantic comedy made a couple years ago called The Holiday. Even though it is a wonderful story about love I enjoyed the LA screenwriting neighbor the most. He instilled “gumption” in the Kate Winslet character and made her fully realize that she’s no best friend, she is a leading lady. Please remember we are all leads in our own lives. Go out in the world and get what you really want!

In the movie The Holiday they also say anything is possible when the Santa Ana winds are blowing. As far as I’m concerned the Santa Ana winds are always blowing.

No matter what anyone thinks of your value, remember that if a pawn is able to outthink and outplay its opponents to get all the way across the chessboard it gets promoted to queen the most powerful piece on the board. We can get anywhere we want to go in life no matter where we started as long as we keep moving up the chessboard of life.

Thanks for reading!
Chris

No comments: