Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Brotherhood of Learning

I would like to dedicate this post to the Chicago Bears wheelchair rugby team.  Thanks to Dan, Tom and Rob for letting me practice with them today!

The original title of this post was The Brotherhood of Rugby but I realized that doesn't fully encapsulate my point.  I was having a conversation with someone recently about how there is a certain beauty to having a disability because it transcends gender, nationality or socio-economic status.  If you have a similar injury to someone you have an instant understanding of his life that 99% of the world does not.  (I think I have made my point without having to go into detail but if someone wishes to know more just contact me.)

This got me thinking the disabled community is not the only place where this occurs.  In my own personal experience the IMC graduate program at Northwestern transcended so many common barriers of understanding.  Because of our common ground of marketing communication education I had the opportunity to learn from 79 wonderfully unique individuals from 16 countries!

If we are open to the abundance of the universe and able to find the common ground on which we all stand, the possibilities are endless!  

In order to make my dreams a reality I realize I need to push through my journey 365 days a year.  That is why I bought my new friend Mac and put effort forth to bring my rugby chair a.k.a The Dream Machine up to Illinois.

The sport of wheelchair rugby is an amazing tool for learning.  It is the one opportunity for quads to play a team sport and as a side effect players have a better understanding of their bodies whether they are newly hurt or have had this version of their body for their whole life.  The generosity of our sport never ceases to amaze me.  

Pushing in circles and throwing a ball against the wall only partially simulates our sport and I was eager to get some team practice time in while I am north for the holidays.  I just emailed Chicago and told them the situation and they welcomed me to their practice.  I have heard similar stories from  many before.

Thank you my brothers in learning for realizing we are all in this together!
Chris 

No comments: