Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Shepherd Lessons

I had originally started this list as topics to discuss with my coach Kevin on how to learn the most out of the mistakes I made this past weekend but figured that even though all these mistakes are made in the game of wheelchair rugby there is some essence to them that could be applied to broader lessons in life.

If you've been working hard at something don't be shocked when you succeed.

This is now the fourth season I have been playing wheelchair rugby. I work hard at my passion and cherish the improvements that I see. Catching the ball has always been the most difficult part of the game for me. On two separate occasions while playing I had to push very fast to get to the ball at an angle that was less than desirable. On both occasions I fully caught the ball with both hands but I was so shocked I caught the ball I ended up dropping it. The reason I failed was I didn’t believe in my own ability. Believe that you will always succeed no matter what. Expect greatness and stay full of love and joy if you need to wait some.

Know who you are and don't apologize for it.

Back in January of 2001 I learned that I process information so much better in the team sports arena if I am constantly communicating (Thanks Coach Frogley!). I believe it forces my brain to go less on thought and more on reaction. In one game in particular I stopped communicating because I did not want to be rude to my opponent however this was a contributing factor to my subpar performance. Please know if you ever play me in a game of rugby I never mean any harm by my communication. It is solely to help myself and my teammates. If there is a particular technique that others find quirky but you find necessary to be at your best stand tall and be proud of who you are.

Pass the ball or push your chair to where it is going to be not where it is at the current moment.

When you do this in the game of rugby you end up causing a turnover and hurting your team. If you always aim for where things are you are selling yourself short and preventing the universe from showing you the beauty of abundance.

If you know the ball is going to go off your knee or the wheel do something about it, don't just watch it happen.

Over years of practice I have a much better sense of where a ball is headed but at times I still cannot react to the situation. Please learn from my mistake if you see the signs for a negative outcome do something about it; write an e-mail, make a call or have a face-to-face conversation. If you attempt to change the outcome things will get better and better. I'm going to change my outcome by trying some new passing drills.

Stay positive regardless of the mistakes you make.

I know this is impossible to verify but you have my word that my mental self talk is so much nicer to myself then it used to be however that does not mean I do not fall back into bad habits on occasion. I faltered big-time in this area three times twice for dropping balls I fully caught and once for having a ball roll out of bounds off my chair that should not have. I hung my head and I'm very disappointed in myself that I reacted in that way. Learn from my mistake. Realize if you have the capability to read this you are pretty well off in the grand scheme of things and you have the right and duty as a child of this universe to love yourself. When you stay positive even in the face of an undesirable outcome you will be rewarded with a positive outcome in the future.

Consistency is vital.

The mental vision of the player I can become is very clear and plays at a very high level. Unfortunately he has a tendency to come out for only a few minutes at a time. I think this has a lot to do with the mental aspect of the game. No matter what you do in life stay sharp and vigilant with your thoughts because they control everything else you do. As I learn more things about consistency I will sure to pass them along.

I would like to thank everyone that was involved in the Saturday, December 13 day of rugby it was a lot of fun and a unique experience compared to most tournaments. I truly enjoy playing in a real home gym of an opponent. I can only think of a handful of places that have true home gyms.

I would also like to recognize that apparently I have a new nickname Captain Intensity however will some of my past Illinois teammates please vouch there is nothing new about that. :)

Thank you to everyone involved for this learning experience
Chris

No comments: