Monday, December 22, 2008

Find The Fire!

 I'm not sure how to start this one but here it goes.   I keep getting  such wonderful compliments  about my writing from a wide variety of people.   Part of me  feels unworthy because I  have simply been  blessed.   Many people  could write what I've written but for some reason  that I do not fully understand God has chosen to plant these ideas in my head and heart.

 I don't think I've ever been that smart and I've definitely never been that athletically gifted but I've  always had one skill at my side.    I have always been hungry and I've always had a fire  in my belly.   The fire in my belly  has ebbed and flowed  throughout my life.   According to my wonderful friend Keith  this is normal but my perfectionist side still strives for more peaks.

 I believe the first time  I ever reached a maximum level of fire was during my freshman year of college. I was the worst player on a world-class  wheelchair basketball  team and  a scared 18-year-old  who  had convinced  myself at certain times that it would be hard to get B's and C's in college.   Many of the things I did in college  should never be emulated by anyone but it is undeniable that I wanted to be successful.   Nervous freshman Chris,  ugly black sweatpants and all, constantly worked or thought about working.   I even reached a point where I was three weeks ahead of schedule on my homework.  

Many  nights I only got four or 4 1/2 hours of sleep.   The only way I survived freshman year  was  the naps I would take with the lights and TV on so I would not fall asleep for more than two hours at a time and Friday nights where I would sleep 15 1/2 hours.   This fire was extremely inefficient  and silly at times but I vastly exceeded my expectations academically.

I never became the basketball player I wanted to be  but that led me down the path I'm going today.   Another time  I caught a maximum level of fire was when  I was trying to make the US track and field team in late 2007, early 2008.   I burned my  candles at both ends working out between 10 and 12 times a week.    I set the US standard for my class in four events but I failed miserably when compared to world standards.   I was not even allowed to go to the final tryouts.   If you asked me about the situation a few months ago I would've told you I was distraught but I now understand God had  different plans for me. 

Anger, frustration and sadness  led me to the worst injuries of my life but I've re-centered everything and  I am in great health both physically and mentally.   My career change to write full time has somehow refocused my dedication in every aspect of my life.   Somehow I am able to write until the wee hours of the morning and get up for a 6 AM workout easier than when I used to get twice the sleep a few short weeks ago.   I believe it is a gift from the universe for  following my dreams and pushing so hard.

 I know there's nothing special about me!   Everyone out there has the ability to find their fire.   I'm not sure if this is a complete list but here are a few of my guidelines to finding the fire.

1. Follow your dreams!
2. Figure out what is most important to you and do more and more of that. Eliminate activities that are filler or unsatisfying.
3. Even though you are focused on making your dreams a reality don't forget to help your fellow man.
4.  Be thankful! If you have the capability to read this you are doing pretty well in the grand scheme of things.   If  you are having a personal problem I promise you have everything you need to overcome it and your  life can and will prosper above your wildest dreams!

Lets go set the world a blaze together!  Go get what you want.  You can do it!

Thanks for reading!  I love you all.
Chris 

No comments: