Thursday, December 4, 2008

Memphis: Life Lessons Around Every Corner!








I had the privilege to go to Memphis over Thanksgiving with my parents. I had an amazing time and wanted to share with you some things that caught my attention. (Photo Thanks to Ken Rathje)

Eat Drink Boogie Repeat.




This simple saying met us on a sign at the front desk of hotel. I couldn’t help but chuckle when I read this. The hotel made no bones about it that it was right next to the famous Beale Street. It is noisy and meant for good times full of shenanigans. The hotel clearly stated if you have a problem with the commotion don't stay there. I know the world would be a better place if people and other entities clearly stated their objective and had no apologies about it. I also appreciate a motto like “Eat Drink Boogie Repeat” because it sets up a clear road map for where Beale Street is headed.

The Peabody Ducks :

Ducks: Seen them before
Beautiful Hotel Lobby: Been in a few
Ducks in a Beautiful Hotel Lobby: I got to see this!

If you don’t know what the Peabody Ducks are and want to learn more check this out:
Courtesy of Peabody Hotel Website


The Legend of the Ducks
The tradition of the famous Peabody Marching Ducks began in 1933. Peabody General Manager Frank Schutt, an avid sportsman, and a friend Chip Barwick, returned empty-handed from weekend hunting trip in Arkansas. The two friends had a bit too much Tennessee sippin' whiskey, and decided to play a prank and put their live duck decoys (which were legal at the time) in the fountain in the hotel's Grand Lobby. Three English call ducks were placed in the fountain, and the reaction from hotel guests was nothing short of enthusiastic. Soon, five North American Mallard ducks would replace the original ducks. In 1940, Bellman Edward Pembroke, a former circus animal trainer, offered to help with delivering the ducks to the fountain each day and taught them the famous Peabody Duck March. Mr. Pembroke became the Peabody Duckmaster, serving in that capacity until his retirement in 1991. The late Mr. Pembroke's portrait hangs in the entrance to The Peabody, a luxury suite is named for him and a building in Peabody Place development is named Pembroke Square . In 2003, The Peabody Memphis conducted an extensive search for a new Duckmaster, garnering the attention of national media outlets such as CNN, the CBS Early Morning Show, and The Wall Street Journal. The Duckmaster is solely responsible for the care and wellbeing of the Peabody Ducks, including feeding, exercise, and training the teams for their daily march. Today, the ducks are housed in the "Duck Palace" on the hotel roof. Every day at 11 a.m., they are led by the Duckmaster down the elevator to the Italian travertine marble fountain in the Peabody Grand Lobby. A red carpet is unrolled and the ducks march through crowds of admiring spectators to the tune of John Philip Sousa's King Cotton March. The ceremony is reversed at 5 p.m., when the ducks retire for the evening to their palace on the roof of the hotel. The Peabody's famed ambassadors are five Mallard ducks – one drake with his white collar and green head, and four hens with less colorful plumage. The ducks are raised by a local farmer and a friend of the hotel. Each team lives in the hotel for only three months before being retired from their Peabody duties and returned to the farm to live out the remainder of their days as wild ducks.

I love that they thought outside of the box. The creativity and the darn cuteness of the ducks make for an enjoyable experience that I partook in for three days straight!

Stax: Greatness in music, a blueprint for greatness in any field.
I knew next to nothing about the Stax music label that existed in Memphis in the 60s and 70s. It hosted many top artists of the day such as Isaac Hayes and Sam and Dave. Stax’s statistics of success were remarkable. All the success was based on a solid foundation of love of their craft and a true passion to achieve greatness. The studio was a colorblind zone that only saw love for music and everyone involved. Unfortunately Stax fell victim to outside forces and had to close the doors but lets honor them by putting love into all of our actions.


Elvis what a great man!
I got the opportunity to go to Graceland. I have never been a fan of Elvis’s music and I knew very little about him but when I was educated I was very impressed with what I learned. Elvis seemed to be one of the most generous men on the planet. He understood a concept that many forget. Those who are blessed must spread their blessings and grow them.

I felt so honored to learn about Elvis. On a side note I got a big kick out of the fact that the green shag carpeting in one of the family rooms was the exact same kind that resided in my childhood bedroom. The day we visited Graceland was a very gray gloomy day. The only time the sun came out to shine was the five minutes or so I was paying my respects at Elvis’s grave. I took it as a special hello from Elvis and I'm very thankful that I received it.


St. Jude’s: The Truest Love There Is

Before I started doing research for our trip I didn't even know that St. Jude's was located in Memphis. I did not have the opportunity to go to St. Jude's but their presence was definitely felt throughout the city. The medical staff at St. Jude's saves and improves countless lives and I commend the doctors for the rock stars they truly are!

Thanks for taking the time to share my journey down Beale Street and beyond!

Have a wonderful day
Chris




No comments: