Monday, December 29, 2008

Forgive Me for I Have Sinned

 I am very disappointed with my own behavior this afternoon. I ate  a wonderful lunch at my favorite restaurant, but afterward I accomplished next to nothing. I was dragging after a hearty meal and sat in front of a computer not really accomplishing anything else the rest of  the afternoon.  I just clicked on this or clicked on that and determined I was not in a place mentally where I could discuss any of the big topics I currently had on my list.

It probably would have been wisest to just take a nap, but instead I wasted at least a couple hours playing mindless online games. Since starting the blog I've been very proud of my time management skills, but there's no question I sinned today.

Someone might be asking "Chris isn't that a little too harsh to say you were sinning just because you wasted some time?"  It all depends on the definition of sin that you use and the perspective that you take. I humbly ask you keep an open mind while I examine the word sin.

When looking up the word sin in the Google powered dictionary the definition was simple           "estrangement from God."   However over the last several months thanks to Eckhart Tolle I have become aware of another definition when looking at the ancient Greek translation sin literally meant " to miss the mark."

Ever since God has blessed me with this blog I have had little to no missing the mark because I have big goals and I have sent them out into the universe. I've been so focused, this once huge NBA fan completely forgot the Celtics were playing the Lakers on Christmas Day because I was too busy writing between family functions.

I guess that's why I'm so frustrated I missed the mark today. I had no real reason except lack of focus and a little bit of self doubt that I wasn't ready to tackle some of the bigger topics currently on my list. I can understand the perspective that I was estranged from God because I was not providing productive work this afternoon, but in the grand scheme of things God knows better than us that we will sin.   So I humbly ask aren't we being estranged  from God when we expect ourselves to be perfect at all times.

My point is we must work hard to accomplish our dreams and that is why God ultimately wants,  but we must also have the faith to miss the mark occasionally because that is all part of God's plan.

I hope I salvaged a less then perfect situation.

Thanks for reading
Chris

No comments: