Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Say What You Need To Say

For the title of this post I'm using a line from the song Say by John Mayer. It was also the theme song for the movie The Bucket List.

There is currently a Word document on my desktop chalked full of ideas about things I want to write about. However new topics come out of the blue and I'm inspired to write about them. At 2 a.m. this morning the idea for this post just popped in my head and I feel it is my duty to discuss it.

Over the last two years I have had an amazing amount of personal growth where I have started to get my stride as an adult however the last few weeks have been the most liberating of my life. I am truly expressing what I have in my head, my way.

I'm not a formally trained writer and as a kid putting pen to paper was never a strong suit. I actually remember I got my only C in 6th grade on a story I worked very hard on because I overused the word “things”.

Through my undergraduate years I started to realize I looked at my studies and life in a way that was not commonplace. I had no problems talking about my observations during class discussions but I dreaded the idea of having to write them down.

My ability to see insights and express them became sharper through graduate school. It didn’t translate to the business world because I couldn’t get behind some product that was just a commodity. I hope my writing is cleaning up as I write more and more but I once received this comment on a paper while at the University of Illinois and I feels it encapsulates my writing style to a certain degree.

Well researched with strong but awkward voice.

I challenge anyone to figure out a way to openly express him or herself. It can be painting, taking pictures, teaching a younger person a skill you have already mastered or taking care of someone in need. I humbly submit that you do not worry about the outcome just follow your heart and do your “thing”.

Expressing my ideas freely without apology feels like flying at times. I hope every single person finds a way to truly express themselves because everyone deserves to reach great heights.

Thanks for reading!
Chris

No comments: