Monday, December 8, 2008

Go Forth and Prosper!

I have shared with our blog community how wheelchair rugby has had such an amazing effect on my life. I thought it would be appropriate to push the rewind button a little bit and talk about another experience that has truly enriched my life.

I had the honor to be a member of the Medill IMC Class of 2005 at Northwestern University. In 15 short months I became a stronger person that was more ready to take on whatever the world had to throw at me. My last several weeks in Evanston were full of angst as I did not know about employment and other things about non-school life.

I ask that the Class of 2008 please learn from my mistakes. I am fully confident that IMC has helped to prepare you for whatever lies in your future. It is a dynamic and fast-paced educational opportunity that prepares you to work at any speed necessary.

As you go down your separate paths in life please consider taking a few other lessons I learned while I was at Northwestern.

Have the courage to think differently. Whether it is inside or outside of the box or above or below the line, go with your gut and make the right decision for yourself, your client or your brand. Just because that is how it is done does not mean that is how it should be done. Sometimes our IMC ideas will be embraced sometimes the opposite will occur. Regardless of how your environment reacts to your ideas believe what you've been taught because it is spot on.

Be accountable. Return on investment is an incredibly powerful tool. If the numbers show that something isn't working figure out how to fix it or move on completely. Even in the face of a negative outcome move on with enthusiasm and confidence. Failure is often a gift to the right path but you need to be in the right mindset to receive it.

Your horizons can always be broader. Always keep learning! The world is an ever-changing place therefore the market is an ever-changing entity. Those who continue to push themselves see the best results. I had the absolute pleasure to have 79 wonderful classmates from well over a dozen countries. I learned so much about the world in 15 months in MTC words escape me.

Never underestimate the power of connection and communication. I have little doubt you are all wonderful people but you can accomplish so much more with the help of others. We live in a world today where it is easier to stay in touch with one another than ever before. Take the time to stay in touch with one another. You never know what future benefits lie ahead due to your present efforts.

Dream Big! Never limit yourself. I could never have imagined as an undergraduate student that I would go to a foreign country for an educational opportunity less then 18 months later. Some of the most valuable lessons I ever learned about the power of communication occurred at cafes in France as part of the Global IMC program (Thanks Professor Caywood!).

Be thankful. The world has a way of taking care of those that are appreciative. I know I'm extremely thankful for everything I learned while at Medill. Cherish what you have accomplished and carry a sense of gratitude as you continue to prosper in life.

I wish the Class of 2008 and all my other beloved IMCers the best of luck in whatever they choose to pursue!

Thank you to all my wonderful friends who I had the honor to call my classmates. Also another big thank you to all the incredible professors and staff at Medill that helped me navigate my 15 month journey through IMC.

Thanks for reading!
Chris Rathje
IMC Class of 2005

No comments: