Saturday, December 27, 2008

Clear The Mind & Push It Forward

I would like to dedicate the first part of this post to Yanik Silver, Steve Pavlina and Jack Canfield. I would like to dedicate the second part of this post to God and the universe to for continuing to inspire me with wonderful topics.

Clear The Mind

Right before Thanksgiving 2008 I was reading several pieces by the three previously mentioned authors and it allowed me to realize for the first time in my life how important it is to clear my mind. Paraphrasing something Mr. Silver said " you're better off finishing 20 things then working on and not finishing  50 things." Since the conclusion of my Thanksgiving holiday I have taken this to heart pushing forward to accomplish tasks. 

In congruence with this I started a Thought Book in August 2008. It is a modified journal that works the way my brain does. No one has ever really seen its contents and would have a hard time understanding it with my unique lack of penmanship. However both practices has allowed me to clear "mindspace." (Mr. Silver's phrase)

Quite ironically in my younger days I hated to write things because of my lack of fine motor skills.  This resulted in a pretty good memory that led my friend Josh George to give me the nickname Steel Trap.  At one point in my college basketball career I could tell you the score of every game I ever participated in. That skill has diminished significantly as I write more things down and use my brain more for creativity and less for memory.  The more I commit to clear out "mindspace" for creativity the more I am rewarded with wonderful ideas.

Push It Forward

Last night I was extremely diligent in clearing "mindspace". I wrote down every single idea I had in my head in the Thought Book. I even rewrote  a couple topics that have been lying dormant in my thought book for some time. I peacefully went to sleep and was awoken by loud thunder sometime in the five o'clock hour this morning. As I jolted awake I saw the words Pay It Forward accompanied by some unique shapes. I interpreted this as pay it forward in a new way.

Pay It Forward is a 2000 movie starring Kevin Spacey, Helen Hunt and Haley Joel Osmond where students are taught to do a good deed for someone else if they have been the recipient of a good deed.

I hypothesize  that we throw Pay It Forward into hyperdrive.  We Pay It Forward before we are ever the recipient of a good deed. This will create numerous spontaneous good deeds that will have an impact on society and the good karma will also impact the lives of those that are selfless. For my part, I have many objects in my parents home that I no longer need.  I plan to do a lot of donating to charity in the days to follow. 

Please only do what you feel is right, but I have little doubt that this simple yet powerful idea is due solely to my clearing of the mind. What would your mind be capable of today if you took the time to clear it?

Just a humble suggestion filled with love.  *Please know I am open to suggestions.  If anyone has a better name for Push It Forward or other ideas please feel free to email me at chris.rathje@gmail.com 

Thanks for reading!
Chris

No comments: