Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Open up the Present

When I was very little I was an extremely anxious kid.  It was never more true than on Christmas Eve.  Each Christmas Eve I lay awake worried that Santa would find me awake. He would tell me I was a bad boy for not sleeping and I would get nothing but coal. I would get so worked up over the whole situation that by the time I was five my parents told me Santa wasn't real so I could finally get some rest.

 My nervous behavior put a major damper on one of the universal magical experiences of childhood.   Please learn from my mistake!  As  adults we do this to ourselves too.  Instead of enjoying the present day, uncertainty and all, we get nervous or worried about what could happen.

Please don't do that. We are all being taken care of by God and the universe.  If we follow  the rules of hard work and being good to our fellow man  we will eventually be rewarded with whatever we want.  Focus on the present and what you can accomplish in the moment.  Open up the present day to all possibilities through faith.  Life is  full of twists and turns but it leads you down the right path.

When I  was little I got excited opening up presents from Santa,  but now I get excited to open up each present day from the Lord.  I once read  something from Joel Osteen  which basically said God has a way of surprising us everyday but we have to be in a mindset to receive that surprise as  the gift it was intended to be.

I humbly ask to keep your eyes peeled and your mouth smiling so you can receive  your unexpected gift today and everyday.

Happy holidays everyone!
Chris

No comments: