Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thoughts To Ponder

Before I get going I would like to thank Jack Canfield, Eckhart Tolle, Norman Vincent Peale, Joel Osteen and of course the Big Man upstairs! Reading their teachings has influenced this post and several others yet to come. I read a lot and sometimes where I first heard of a concept becomes muddled. I apologize in advance if I ever mistakenly attribute an idea to someone or mistakenly omit a contribution of another.

Below are some of the things that have been floating around in my head for the past few days.

Your brain is an antenna.

In accordance to the law of attraction we are all truly antennas. Whatever we have going on in our minds has a way of manifesting itself in our realities. A great example of this is several weeks ago I noticed if I was in a happy mood while driving happy songs showed up on the radio. However times where I was feeling a little blue sad songs had a way of appearing.

A little interference will not interrupt my song!

I see on reality shows all the time contestants complaining about how a bad egg spoiled the whole group’s performance, but I think there is a major error to such a viewpoint. The bad egg will only spoil the group if you let it. The environment is going to do what it does but you have full control over your reaction.

Imagine someone is driving along an empty road with perfect weather conditions and their favorite song is playing on the radio. Since the scenario is so perfect they decide to rock out to their favorite song (as well as follow all traffic laws and continue to be a responsible driver. :) Then all of a sudden the skies become grey and an annoying but bearable beeping sound accompanies their favorite song on the radio. The driver has a choice, they can continue to rock out or they can change their mood. The grey skies and less-than-perfect sounds cannot make that decision for them.

How to test your mood? Just breathe.
Over the last 18 months or so I've tried extremely hard to stay positive regardless of the environment that surrounds me. Guess what? I'm a human and sometimes I fail but through my failures I've been much more successful in reaching my goal.

A great indicator for your current mood is your breathing. Thanks to Eckhart Tolle, Jack Canfield and others I've learned a great technique. If your breathing is labored in anyway chances are you focusing on something that happened in the past or something you're worried about in the future. If you focus on maintaining or improving the present your breath will be much calmer.

Time to change the happiness battery!

I've noticed in the last few weeks I have a tendency to get melancholy when I am sitting in a room by myself. While this is happening my breath becomes slightly labored and I get a slight discomfort in my stomach. I taught myself to easily break out of this by forcing a smile. When I do this the discomfort in my stomach goes away instantly and I'm in a better mood. I envision taking out an imaginary happiness battery from my stomach and putting in a bright shiny new one that instantly perks me up. If the radio station analogy works better for you I think that would work great in this situation as well. If you find yourself down, change that radio station in your mind to happy music!

You are your own Chief Happiness Officer!

I just came up with this term yesterday but I'm already a big fan. I have learned I am in complete control of my life. If there is an activity in my life that brings me nothing but negative emotions it is up to me to change the activity or eliminate it. I am my own Chief Happiness Officer. No one else can make sure I am joyful except myself.


Thanks for reading what has been mulling around in my head for the past few days.

Have a great day and as my mother says take care of yourself because you're the only one who can!

Chris

1 comment:

heidi said...

Hey Chris! Great to see that you're blogging! Have you heard about Bhutan's efforts to increase the country's "Gross National Happiness"?