Friday, December 26, 2008

Want to Be Healthy? Be Happy

For the rest of my life I have the lofty ambition to always be in a relatively good mood. Once again I humbly ask if an 11-year-old who is about to lose his battle with cancer can figure out a way to have fun.  Do any of us have an excuse to not be in a good mood? 

I am certain there are numerous medical studies  that back up my beliefs, but I'm not a doctor. I am a guy who sits around and thinks  and then he talks or writes about his thoughts.  The best way for me to get my point across is to give you some anecdotal evidence from my life.

To the best of my memory I have only been in a sustained negative mental state twice in the last 12 months. The first time was  during the middle of January. I just returned from a rugby tournament  in Florida  where I played below my expectations. I felt the germs in the air and I focused on sickness. Before I knew it I had a terrible cold and was bummed out that I was spending my birthday completely alone sick in my apartment.

I have little doubt I created the situation by negative actions.  The  second time I created a negative outcome for myself was when I decided to work out on a Friday night in late April. I became so frustrated on multiple fronts in my life that I became angry. This is a very rare occasion for me but there is no question my frustration level had reached a point where anger is the proper word to describe my emotional state.

Before I knew what hit me I created the worst sports related injury of my life. About eight months later I'm still recovering,  but I've learned a very valuable lesson and it will never be replicated again. I have noticed that when I tell people this story in person  some people believe me and some do not. I promise you that I speak nothing but the truth. 

On at least three occasions this past year I fought off colds before they even began with the health and strength of my thoughts. Always remember you are a child of the universe and with joy in your heart anything is possible.  Always focus on your health and strength.  There is no danger or negative consequence to being happy!

We can all live in health and happiness!

Thanks for reading
Chris 

No comments: